RF National Distinguished Teachers Awards (RFNDTA) is an annual program that recognizes outstanding educators in Barbados. Each year, 10 teachers are selected based on community nominations. They win cash prizes along with a trophy and a place in the RFNDTA Hall of Fame.
Students, parents, teachers and other community members nominate their pick to win. A Blue-Ribbon Panel of Judges will then review the nominations and select the top ten. The criteria to select top teachers include teaching style and practices, community involvement and contribution to education. The top 10 teachers will be awarded cash prizes. Teachers from all levels- from nursery to tertiary - are eligible. All decisions are final.
Nominations open on September 17th, 2022 and close on October 22nd, 2022.
The nomination form is to be completed online using below link of the website:
No, past RFNDTA winners are not eligible. However past nominees are eligible to participate.
Students (current and past) and parents can nominate teachers.
The panel of judges will select winners from both public and private schools across Barbados as follows: two (2) Nursery School Teachers, three (3) Primary School Teachers, two (2) Secondary School Teachers, one (1) Sixth Form Teacher, one (1) Special Needs Teacher and one (1) Tertiary Teacher from Barbados Community College, Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic or Erdiston College.
The decision will be based on the nomination form answers and how the teacher is seen to :
- Inspire enthusiasm for learning and academic excellence.
- Elicit high levels of achievement from students in relation to their abilities.
- Encourage students to take responsibility for their own learning.
- Show a good knowledge of subject matter.
- Have the respect of students and colleagues.
- Communicate well with parents.
- Are always well prepared.
- Contribute to the school and/or community beyond the classroom.
- Seem happy to share everything they know.