RF Merchant Bank & Trust (Barbados) Limited, established the National Distinguished Teachers' Awards (NDTA), with the goal to reward outstanding teaching professionals, while encouraging all teachers throughout Barbados to aspire for excellence. RF, in association with the Ministry of Education, Technological and Vocational Training, will annually award prizes to teachers exemplifying high and consistent standards and qualities revered in their profession.
A Blue Ribbon Judges Panel will select 10 Nominees, considered most appropriate to receive BDS $1,550 and the title, RF National Distinguished Teacher 2020/2021. Additional prizes will be awarded to teachers based on social media votes open to the public. In addition to teacher awards, there are also weekly prizes for nominations. Plus, the school with the most nominations wins $3,000.
The 10 awards will be selected from Tertiary, Secondary, Primary and Nursery Institutions.
Students, parents and members of the public are invited to nominate teachers who:
- Inspire enthusiasm for learning and academic excellence.
- Elicit high levels of achievement from students in relation to their abilities.
- Encourage students to take responsibility for their own learning.
- Show a good knowledge of subject matter.
- Have the respect of students and colleagues.
- Communicate well with parents.
- Are always well prepared.
- Contribute to the school and/or community beyond the classroom.
- Seem happy to share everything they know.